At Little Polynesian Resort not only are we committed to providing the ultimate Cook Islands experience through our luxury resort and romantic accommodation, but we’re also dedicated to promoting and ensuring health benefits for all of our guests.
In paradise, nature always gives a helping hand, as is the case in Rarotonga, where coconut plantations thrive. With coconut palms being considered by many as the Tree of Life, at Little Polynesian Resort we use this versatile and highly nutritious power fruit to the advantage of our guests.
Starting with breakfast, guests can enjoy our in-house, artisan produced crunchy granola, drizzled with coconut oil and coconut nectar (a natural sweetener) during the roasting process, giving it a delightful crisp.
It’s not often we share our best kept culinary secrets, but while you cant be here with us in person to enjoy it for yourself, our very own chef Carlo has helped us create a step-by-step guide to follow, so those at home can share in the magic found only in our toasted, island-style granola. Enjoy.
250ml coconut oil
200ml coconut nectar
750g jumbo rolled oats
250g sliced almonds
250g cashew nuts
200g pumpkin seeds
200g sunfower seeds
250g desiccated coconut
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 300°F
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place the coconut oil and coconut nectar in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Transfer raw granola onto the prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer. If the granola is clumpy, use a spatula to press it into the pan.
- Bake for approx 25 minutes (toss the mixture halfway through).
- The granola is ready when golden-brown and the almonds & cashew nuts have toasted —it will still feel wet coming out of the oven but will dry as it cools.
- Place the baking sheet on a wire rack and sprinkle on the raisins or fruit. Tip – If you want clumps of granola, press the granola before it cools, which will help it stick together.
- Cool completely before storing. Transfer the cooled granola to an airtight container for long-term storage.